DJ6ual: An Irish Girl's Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Homeschooling on the Rise

Homeschooling on the Rise: "

HomeschoolingHomeschooling on the Rise in North Carolina


The number of students being home-schooled in North Carolina continues to increase. According to the latest numbers from the N.C. Department of Administration Non-Public Education Division, 83,609 kids were home-schooled last year. That is a 4.85 percent increase over the previous year. There were a total of 45,524 registered home schools, and two out of every three were religious. Home school advocates are not surprised. (Continue reading this story by clicking here.).

Back before I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) I home-schooled my oldest son. At that time we lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma and they were much more excepting of alternative education. I don't regret the years I home-schooled, my oldest scored incredibly high on his GED to get out of his Public High School and is looking at very good colleges now.

Homeschooling my youngest was a totally different experience. Here in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania they make it nearly impossible to homeschool unless you plan to make it your full time job. It may be just that it was harder because of my MS, but I found it nearly pointless to teach my youngest when everything he had been taught thus far was so wrong. Teenagers in our state graduate every year without the basic knowledge of how to read and write! Knowing that you can just imagine the history I had to re-teach to my youngest.

The problem now is that my MS has prevented me from continuing me to home-school and my youngest is back in public school where all the crap I tried to un-teach is being gone over with him every day! It isn't like they are really teaching it, it is more like they are helping him to memorize it. I want to scream, but at the same time I want him to be able to pass his tests and one day get into a good school. I miss Homeschooling!

That leads me back to the original point, I think Homeschooling is actually on the rise everywhere and not just in North Carolina. The more and more parents learn what their kids are being taught in schools, the less and less they want them there! I think if the States made it easier to home-school you would see an even larger increase in a short period of time.

I want to know how you feel about Homeschooling! Leave me a comment and tell me if you home-school and what the laws regarding Homeschooling are in your state!

"

No comments:

Post a Comment